Sycamore Environmental Consultants, Inc., located in Sacramento since 1991, provides specialized environmental consulting services throughout California. We provide biological, wetland, arborist, and permitting services to both the public and private sectors through all stages of project development. Project types include public infrastructure projects, linear utility projects, and general and specific plan projects for local and regional governments, private developments, and other private clients.
We currently have an opening for a full-time entry or mid-level biologist based at our Sacramento office. The biologist will be involved in multiple projects that involve a variety of sensitive resources. Duties will include conducting background research for project sites, conducting fieldwork, evaluating the potential for special-status resources, analyzing potential impacts, preparing permit applications, implementing mitigation measures, and construction monitoring.
The successful candidate will meet all of the following minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in wildlife or plant biology, ecology, or similar related field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to safely conduct fieldwork that, depending on the project, may require daylong substantial physical activity outdoors, in any season, in a wilderness setting, and/or on steep or rugged terrain.
- Demonstrable knowledge and familiarity with the natural environments of northern and central CA.
- Possess a valid driver's license and driving record that meets company policy.
- Willingness to travel as necessary. Most project sites are within 2 hours of Sacramento. Availability for occasional overnight travel is desirable.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
Candidates with some or all of the following additional qualifications are encouraged to apply:
- Experience with the California Environmental Quality Act, the Federal and State Endangered Species Acts, Sections 404/401 of the Clean Water Act, and National Environmental Policy Act.
- Experience with Caltrans format environmental and biological documents and/or processes.
- A Section 10 Recovery Permit for one or more federal-listed species.
- Familiarity with and ability to conduct wetland delineations according to U.S. Army Corps of Engineers standards.
- Familiarity with and ability to find and identify wildlife, especially birds, or their sign in the field.
- Familiarity with and ability to find and identify plants in the field.
- Certified Arborists, Registered Consulting Arborists, and/or associated qualifications.
Staff biologists are encouraged to continue to develop their knowledge, skills, and certifications on the job. Sycamore Environmental is located in the Greenhaven/Pocket area of Sacramento and offers a competitive salary based on experience. Benefits include medical, 401(k), holidays, vacation and sick leave, and others. Qualified applicants are encouraged to email a resume and cover letter to resumes@SycamoreEnv.com. Recent graduates should also include a transcript of coursework and grades. Sycamore Environmental is an equal-opportunity employer.